Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Concerts This Past Weekend

This past weekend was totally busy for me! My mom had her 50th birthday party, and I went to two concerts! Two friends of mine are singer-songwriters, and, as a friend does, he checks up on them every once in a while.

Saturday night, Megan and I went to see Lilia Griffin play with her band in a warehouse in Schaumburg. It was for a live album recording. I was totally impressed. She has a natural feel on the guitar (which is hard to come by) and her voice (though she said she was sick) was full, clear, and, on the highs, very crisp. Overall, some of the best female singing I've ever heard live.

The second concert was Sunday night at the Beat Kitchen. Julia Klee and her band, Clockwork, played a 45 min. set. Klee's band rocked out on a few super-solid numbers at the beginning of the set, and closed with a few intimate, no-drums tunes. Guitarist, Andrew, really fed off of Klee. Julia, who plays piano and sings, has written and arranged some really cool vocal lines and harmonies, and reminds me of a catchier Fiona Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment