Friday, April 23, 2010

Blog Migration Pains

Okay, so I think I probably mentioned a few weeks ago that I have to come up with a fix for my website home page, so that I can update news on it. Blogger is discontinuing a feature of their website that I have been using for as long as I can remember - probably since 2006.

No biggie, I thought, three weeks ago. Well, now that I'm starting to get my hands dirty in this process, I'm finding that finding a solution is a much more complicated process than I had originally thought.

I don't care about static or dynamic whatever. What I care about are: 1) being able to update the site whenever I want without using HTML coding and 2) incorporating/allowing user feedback and commenting. My current setup only really allows for #1 of these two things, and, while I'm at it, I'd like to come up with a solution for both.

I'm looking in to Wordpress. Actually, I have it installed right now. But the issue I'm having is getting this new home page WP blog to match the rest of my existing website. From what I've seen, it looks like I'd have to create my own custom theme, which would basically mean designing a whole new website architecture/structure - even to get everything to look exactly as it does now - if I wanted to use WP.

Bottom line there: I'm a freakin' songwriter - not a web designer; and I can say with all certainty that in the past six years, I have spent way too much time working on web design junk...

Am I missing something here, or is it not that easy for me to just migrate to Wordpress, considering that I have primarily used a static HTML FTP publishing system and not a dynamic, DB-driven one?

Okay, so I might be talking over your heads right now. I hope that's not the case. Any help on this issue would be super-helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment