Monday, November 23, 2009

Black Diamond is AWESOME!


Okay, so I understand that many of you probably have no idea who Black Diamond is or what they do; but, for starters, you just need to know that they are awesome. Okay, so who are they? Black Diamond is a manufacturer of climbing, skiing, and mountaineering equipment. Here's their website: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us

Now let me tell you why they're awesome...

In 2001, while I worked for Galyan's Trading Post (later bought out by Dick's Sporting Goods) I purchased a tent from Black Diamond - an I-Tent, to be exact. The I-Tent is the standard in mountaineering. Check it out, here: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/i-tent

Just a few weeks ago, I went on a rock climbing trip to Jackson Falls, in southern Illinois, and I notices a rip in the tent, near the zipper, in the corner. I was bummed. I had never noticed the tear before, and I don't even know if I had ever inspected that part of the tent before. Obviously, with the tent being eight years old, I had little hope of a fix.

When I got back from my trip, I promptly emailed Black Diamond, and, to my surprise, I received a response less than 24 hours later (the same can't be said for TGIFridays, from whom I still have not received a response). Here's what Mike at Black Diamond had to say:

My apologies for your trouble with your I-Tent. Regardless of the cause or timing of the tear, we can certainly repair it for you at no charge. You would, obviously, need to send us the tent. A retaping of the area should take care of it nicely.

It was unbelievable. I was dumbfounded. In a word, I was happy. Could it be that there are still companies out there that stand behind their products and do all that they can to make situations right with their customers? Answer: Yes. Black Diamond does.

And for this very reason, I urge you to purchase Black Diamond, if ever there is an opportunity to do so. If you're looking for climbing gear, a new tent or shelter, skis or boots, consider Black Diamond, and make sure you have a compelling reason why not to buy BD.

PS: No, I have not been paid by Black Diamond to write this. I'm just that excited about getting my tent repaired - free of charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment